Austin Community College District (ACC) celebrates more than 3,000 graduates at its spring 2024 commencement ceremony. This commencement ceremony marks the college’s official 50th anniversary.

Friends and family are invited to congratulate students at the H-E-B Center in Cedar Park on Friday, May 17.

One of those students is Shelia Jones. Shelia a mother who began at ACC in fall 2020 and will earn her Real Estate degree. 

Hear more about her journey at ACC.

Shelia’s Journey

I am a 33-year-old African-American neurodivergent mom of one daughter, Luna Rae, who was able to begin pursuing my degree during the pandemic. I am originally from Memphis, Tennessee, and I moved to Austin to continue my education and raise my daughter in a safer city. I pursued the Associate of Science in Real Estate because I am working toward a career in Commercial Appraisal. I have completed the training courses necessary for the State of Texas to be considered an Appraisal Trainee, and looking forward to transferring.

Tell me about your time at ACC?

Very rewarding; lots of opportunities to stay connected to instructors, peers, and campus happenings. 

Why was ACC the right choice for you?

Asynchronous classes were ideal while raising a young child and really support student health and wellness in addition to education.

How does it feel to be graduating?

Rewarding. I’m glad my 5-year-old daughter will witness it. 

What was your favorite part of ACC?

Feeling like an essential part of a large family. There is so much support from students and teachers alike. It’s inspiring to be in a place where everyone means business, yet in the most casual and inviting way. 

Any faculty or staff you want to recognize supporting you?

Advocate Amber Huffman, Professor Kyle Smith, Professor Kristopher Marcus, Professor Scott Goyette, Professor Stacia Ashmore, Staff Member Jason Brown, Professor Louisa Spaventa, Professor Job Hammond, and Professor James Haecker

What is next for you?

A bachelor’s degree in the University of Texas-Austin’s Urban Studies program, if they’ll have me.

What would you tell someone considering applying for college?

There are many reasons why you may think you shouldn’t or couldn’t, but do it anyway. Do it scared.