Meet the Embedded Tutors

English Course Tutors

Catherine C. Wadbrook

Catherine C. Wadbrook, MA, MEd. 

Tutoring Specialist, Online Learning Lab

I have been at ACC since 2015 as an adjunct professor of English, teaching dual credit Composition and Literature courses, and Technical Writing.  I have over 30 years of teaching experience (Composition and Rhetoric, Literature, Tech Writing, Public Speaking, Language and Culture, and ESL) both here in the states and abroad in Japan and South Korea. 

Since February of 2021, I have been employed in a full-time Tutoring Specialist position with the Online Learning Lab at ACC and am also a member of the Distance Education Title V InFocus grant team as an Embedded Tutor. 

Since taking on this new role, I have helped to grow the Embedded Tutoring Program by conducting pilot studies and disseminating best practices. I have also provided training for tutors and faculty, worked with the Title V team to achieve grant objectives, and have supported over 90 course sections as an Embedded Tutor.

I believe all students are capable of success and have the right to feel valued and respected. I enjoy working in collaboration with faculty to help students to reach their goals, increase confidence in their skills, and achieve success in their academic endeavors. 

Writing is hard work, but I help students improve their skills through effective strategies and practice. As a tutor, I push students to do their best, help them to master course material, and meet their professor’s expectations.

I hold a BA in Economics and an MA in English, with a specialization in Teaching Writing, from Virginia Tech and a MEd in Curriculum and Instruction, with a specialization in Instructional Technology, from the University of Texas at Austin. I also hold a Texas teaching certificate.

I look forward to working with you!

Katie Kelfer-Taylor

Katherine (Katie) Kelfer-Taylor, M. A. M.Ed.  

I have been teaching and tutoring college level writing students for thirty years.  I enjoy working with students who are at all stages of their college career.  My area of specialty is working with students for whom English is not their first language. Working here at the ACC online learning center has given me two great opportunities.  One great thing is that I get to work with each student one or one, which is the ideal way to teach!  The second wonderful thing about my job is that I get to do it from home! Really, I couldn’t ask for a more perfect position. In addition to being a writing instructor, I am also a writer myself.  I have recently published my first book.  Going through the publication process has given me some new insight into the process of writing and reaffirmed my commitment to empower students to think and express themselves through writing. 

Katherine Stubbins

Katherine Stubbins

Hello, my name is Katherine Stubbins. After graduating from The University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts, I entered the world of online education to help students wherever and whenever. Since beginning with Austin Community College, I have assisted countless students in their English endeavors. When I’m not tutoring or preparing for a session, you can find me at home with tea and a good book.

Dianne Hess

Dr. Dianne Hess

My name is Dianne Hess. I am a retired educator with many years of experience working in and working with Texas school districts.  My background in Texas public schools includes twenty years of teaching secondary Spanish, Latin, English, and ESL.  I have also served as a central office administrator and as an educational specialist in two different regional education service centers (VI and XIII).   A major part of my career post-retirement has been consulting with teacher mentoring–especially TxBESS, which I helped create during my time at the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).   I hold a B.A. and M.Ed. from Southeastern Oklahoma State University (where I graduated summa cum laude). A PhD. in Curriculum and Instruction from Texas A&M.  My favorite hobby is travel. I have visited Venezuela, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Peru, Angola, Namibia, China, Turkey, Hawaii, Alaska, Ecuador, the Galapagos Islands, Greece, Croatia, Israel, and the Bahamas.

Teresa Gazella

Teresa Gazella

I have always loved being a part of the academic world! When I was a kid growing up in the West Texas city of Odessa (made famous in the movie Friday Night Lights, by the way), I turned my bedroom into a classroom, where I taught reading and math to my dolls; I loved to play with the office supplies at my father’s work; heck, I wanted an overhead projector for Christmas! It was only natural, then, that I would become a teacher: it’s a title I have proudly held for the past thirty-four years. In that time, I have taught everything from seventh-grade remedial English to senior Advanced Placement literature to my current position as an adjunct professor of English and an online tutor for Austin Community College. I have loved all of it and look forward to many more years of working with students in their academic pursuits.

En route to becoming a purveyor of language and literature, I received a BS in Education from U.T. and an MA in English from UT Permian Basin. When I am not working, I enjoy reading (historical fiction and travel narratives are my favorite genres), teaching myself the classical guitar, quilting, hiking, working out, playing disc golf, and walking Gracie, my ten-year-old heeler mix. I am active in my church and zealous in my efforts to be a wise and fun aunt to my nephew and niece in Austin.

Thousands of students have passed through my classroom doors, and I am constantly struck by the fact that not always do the smartest, most brilliant students pass the course, but the hardest-working, most determined ones always do. If you’re ready and willing, so am I! 

Good luck and have a great semester!

Selena Modelo Laine

Selena Modelo Laine, B.A. English, M.Ed.

I am a dedicated and experienced educator with a passion for teaching and supporting students. With six years of teaching experience, specializing in English Language Arts for grades 9-12, as well as expertise in Yearbook and Journalism, I bring a wealth of knowledge to the tutoring position.

In 2011, I obtained my B.A. in English from UC Berkeley, with a minor in Education, and pursued my education career in 2018, where I began my credential program and master’s degree simultaneously. I received my MA in Education in 2020 from National University. 

Throughout my career, I have actively contributed to my school community. I served as the Co-Lead Teacher of the LEAD Academy, demonstrating my leadership abilities and commitment to academic excellence. Furthermore, I took on the role of PBIS Coordinator, promoting positive behavior intervention strategies that fostered a supportive and inclusive learning environment. As the Yearbook Advisor, I nurtured student creativity and provided guidance in journalistic pursuits.

Currently, I am teaching at a 9th Grade Center, where I continue to inspire students through engaging ELA and Journalism lessons. As a Mentor Teacher this year, I am dedicated to guiding and supporting fellow educators, sharing my expertise and facilitating professional growth.

With an unwavering dedication to student success, I thrive on empowering learners with the tools they need to excel academically and beyond. My tutoring approach is tailored to each student’s unique needs, providing personalized support and fostering a love for learning.

I am excited to bring my passion for teaching and extensive experience to the tutoring position, enabling students to reach their full potential and achieve their academic goals.

I look forward to working with and supporting you this semester!

History Course Tutors

Hannah Beth Taylor

Hannah Beth Taylor

Hi, I’m Hannah Beth Taylor. I’m a native of Austin and have been in higher education for the last three years. I have a Master’s in History from the University of Texas at San Antonio and while pursuing that degree was a tutor and teaching assistant. I’ve also worked with students ages three through college at some point, so safe to say I enjoy teaching. I discovered I loved helping students achieve both academic understanding and success. When not tutoring, I am hanging out with my two golden retrievers.

Math Course Tutors

Seth McLagan

Seth McLagan

My name is Seth McLagan. I first discovered my love for tutoring when I was taking precalculus. I tutored some of my fellow classmates and discovered I had a knack for it. I very briefly tutored at the Rio Grande campus until I graduated from UT. I went on to work in laboratories until I decided to go back to school for some computer degrees. While I was in school for that, I returned to tutoring at the Northridge campus and have been there ever since. This is by far the best, most fulfilling job I’ve ever had.

I received my biology degree from UT in 2000. I have been a math and science tutor at ACC since 2006. I have also worked for private companies and my own business as a private tutor for students as young as 6th grade. I have dedicated myself to tutoring since 2006.

Jamie Hall

Daniel “Jamie” Hall

My name is Jamie Hall. Here to help students grapple with the challenging technical concepts that ACC imparts to its students. Interests in math, physics, and computer science. I am ACC alumni and a UT Austin Degree Holder currently working on my Masters.  

George Elizondo

George Elizondo

My name is George Elizondo. I have been a math tutor with the Online Learning Lab at ACC since 2019. I am an online embedded tutor for Elementary Statistics and have participated in the Embedded Tutoring Program at ACC since its inception. I can help you with Elementary Statistics, Calculus, Precalculus and College Algebra. I am familiar with the Lock textbook for Statistics and the Statistics software (StatKey) used at ACC. As a tutor, I strive to convey understanding and visualization. Visualization is powerful when it can be applied and can be more effective than memorization, while understanding is the basis for remembering.   

Before coming to ACC, I tutored math at Collin County Community College, where I was also an Associate Professor of Developmental Mathematics. I have a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the University of Texas at Austin and a master’s degree in Telecommunications Management from Washington University in St. Louis. I retired from AT&T as a middle manager prior to my career in education.

Science Course Tutors

Qamar Alsankari

Qamar Alsankari

I will be graduating in May 2023 from Texas State University with a bachelor in science with a Biology major and a Biochemistry minor. I have a good understanding of advanced biology courses such as Human Anatomy, Immunology, Cancer biology, and much more! I am also fluent in Arabic and can definitely help ESL students as well!

Alex Abijaoudi

Alex Abijaoudi

Hi, my name is Alex! I am currently pursuing my MSW at Texas State University. I have a major passion for Biology, Math and especially Psychology. During undergrad, I began my tutoring journey. I worked in the Student Learning Assistance Center (SLAC) on campus as a tutor/lead tutor for Math and Science. Nowadays, I work as a Math/Stats tutor for ages K-12. I missed working with adults and that is why I’m here! I’m excited to work with some of my old professors and new ones as well!

Jared Moon

Jared Moon

Hello! My name is Jared, and I am a 3rd year medical (M.D.) student with a master’s in education (M.Ed.) and an engineering undergraduate background (B.S.) I love teaching, and I am happy to help with your STEM education. I am a born and bred austinite, and ACC has always been so helpful to me, so I am happy to be joining as a tutor!

I have tutored medical students, mentored multiple undergraduates, TA’d courses at the college level, and work with middle school and high school students. I also have a masters in education!

Sample Online Tutoring Session

Back to Top
  • Faculty Request

• Request an embedded support service for your courses.

• Contact

• Embedded Tutoring: [email protected]

• Academic Coaching: [email protected]

• Back to Top