Frequently Asked Questions

Scope of Service

What type of services does ACC Mental Health Counseling provide?

ACC Mental Health Counselors offer short-term, individual counseling and group counseling. Additional services include workshops, outreach programs and referrals to community resources. We do not provide couples counseling or family counseling services.

Do I need an appointment to receive services?

Yes. ACC Mental Health Counseling services are appointment based.

What if I am experiencing a crisis?

ACC does not provide crisis counseling. If you or someone you know need urgent or immediate assistance, please contact 512-472-HELP (4357), 911, or 988 (Suicide and Crisis Lifeline). If you or someone you know is considering harm to self (suicide) or to others please call 911 immediately.

What if I need long-term counseling services?

ACC Mental Health Counseling offers short-term counseling consisting of one intake session, up to five counseling sessions and one termination session. Please review the Community Mental Health Resources page or ACC & Community Resources List for external resources.

Do you provide psychological evaluations or assessments for learning disabilities?

ACC Mental Health Counseling does not provide evaluations or testing. Please review this Evaluation Resources page for external resources.

I am only interested in obtaining medication for my condition. Does ACC provide this type of service?

ACC Mental Health Counseling does not provide prescriptions for medication nor medication management. Please review the Community Mental Health Resources page or ACC & Community Resources List for external resources.


Who is eligible for ACC mental health counseling?

Any ACC student that is actively enrolled in ACC coursework (Credit or Adult Education or Continuing Education) for the current semester, is physically located in the state of Texas, and is not already receiving therapy from an outside clinician.

Is there a fee for services?

There is no fee for services.

What if I am under 18 years of age?

If a student is 18 years of age, Texas State Law (Texas Family Code Chapter 32.004) requires that we obtain permission from your Parent, Legal Guardian or Managing Conservator to offer you counseling services. Exceptions apply in accordance with state law. Once you submit a request, the team Coordinator will provide you with additional information.

Do I have to be a full-time student to receive services?

No. You can take as little as 1 credit hour and receive services.

I am enrolled in Continuing Education or Adult Education classes. Am I eligible for services?

Yes, as long as you are actively enrolled in ACC coursework for the current semester and are physically located in the state of Texas.

Who is eligible for services during Intersession?

Any ACC student who is currently enrolled in the following semester and has paid tuition, is approved Financial Aid or on a payment plan.

I am a student and an employee at ACC. Am I eligible for services?

Hourly employees and work-study students at ACC who are not benefits-eligible and are taking classes at ACC are eligible for Mental Health Counseling but cannot see a mental health counselor that works at the same campus where the student worker is employed due to the potential for a dual relationship and/or conflict of interest.

ACC’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services are available to staffing table employees, faculty, and adjunct faculty. Please review the Employee Assistance Program | Human Resources | Austin Community College District web page for more information. 

Accessing Services

How do I access services?

Complete the ACC Mental Health Counseling form. For emergencies or immediate services, please call 911, the ACC Police Department at 512-223-7999 or 988 for the National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.

When are services available?

During ACC’s Mental Health Counseling hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm. For services outside our regular business hours, please review the Community Mental Health Resources page or ACC & Community Resources List for external resources. For emergencies or immediate services, please call 911, the ACC Police Department at 512-223-7999 or 988 for the National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.

How will I get contacted once I complete the request for services?

The student will receive communication from the Mental Health Counseling team Coordinator, Counselor and or Regional Dean at their official ACC student email (primary method) or via phone call; therefore, please make sure to enter your current contact information on the request form. For trouble with accessing your ACC student email, visit the ACC mail activation assistance page.

Please note: Students have 5 business days to respond from the time of the initial outreach or the request will be closed, and the student will need to resubmit a new request for services. The deadline will be indicated in the email message.

When will I get contacted?

Students are usually contacted within 2-3 business days of submitting their request but this may depend on how many requests are received at any given time and if the requests are submitted with accurate student contact information. Incorrect, incomplete and duplicate requests delay the process.

I submitted a request for counseling on behalf of a student. The student hasn't been contacted. Why not?

 All counseling requests with accurate student contact information are reached out to by the team Coordinator. Requests are processed in the order they are received. Several reasons why a student may report they have not been contacted can include, but are not limited to: 

  • No student contact information or incorrect student contact information on the request form.
  • The student has not checked their ACC email or phone messages (or no message can be left if no voicemail has been set up or is full) and has not responded to our communication.
  • The student is not interested in services or declined services.

Rest assured that all students who submit a request are contacted, whether the student responds or not is up to them as this is a voluntary service (not mandatory). Also, due to the confidential nature of the counseling process and Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council (BHEC) Rules, we cannot confirm or deny the status of a student’s counseling request without written permission from the student in a signed Release of Information form.

Session Questions

All of my classes are online and I live outside of Texas? Am I eligible for virtual services?

Due to state licensure laws, individuals who receive telemental health counseling services in Texas must be physically located in the state of Texas at the time of their session appointments.

What if I need an interpreter for my sessions?

It is the student’s responsibility to submit the Interpreter Request Form at least 72 hours in advance for a sign language interpreter for any activity at ACC.

Can I change my in-person appointment to video?

Yes. You will need to notify your mental health counselor prior to your scheduled appointment.

I scheduled a video appointment. Can I change the video appointment to in-person?

It’s possible depending on the student’s ability to meet with the mental health counselor at the counselor’s assigned campus, based on scheduling availability and with advance notice. Refer to our Meet the Team page to know which counselor offers services at a particular campus location.

Who will be my mental health counselor?

Assignment is based on student and counselor availability and format requested. You can see a list of our counselors at our Meet the Team page to make a specific request. 

How long are counseling sessions?

Sessions typically last between 45 and 50 minutes for individual counseling. First time intake appointments and group sessions may last between 45 and 90 minutes.

How often will I meet with my mental health counselor?

Session frequency is determined by your mental health counselor and is based on your unique needs and goals.

English is not my first language. Do you have bilingual counselors?

Yes. Check out our Meet the Team page and indicate your preference on the request form.

Back to Top
  • Suicide Prevention

  • 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline

  • If you or someone you know is considering harm to self (suicide) or to others please call 911 immediately.

  • Hotlines

    • Austin / Travis County 24 hour Crisis & Suicide hotline: 512-472-HELP (4357)
    • The Williamson County 24 hour Crisis hotline: 1-800-841-1255
    • Bastrop County Family Crisis Center hotline: 1-888-311-7755
    • Hays County 24 Hour Crisis Hotline: 1-877-466-0660
    • National Suicide Prevention Hotline:1-800-273-TALK (8255)
    • SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or text: TalkWithUs to 66746: 24/7, 365 days a year
  • Request Presentations, Trainings or Events

  • If you would like for one of our Mental Health Professionals to attend an event, schedule a workshop, or present please submit an Event Request below. A confirmation of the event request will be emailed separately.

  • Back to Top