Correcting Errors on Credit Reports

If you find something incorrect on your credit report, you should dispute it. Contact both the credit reporting agency and the company that provided the incorrect information.

In a written letter (see sample letter next page) explain what you think is wrong and why. If you have evidence (a receipt for payment, copy of a cancelled check, etc.) include a copy of this and a copy of your credit report with the incorrect information highlighted.

You can submit your dispute online; however, experts recommend that you dispute your error by mail including a letter that details why the information is wrong and contains evidence proving the mistake. While the online dispute option is marketed as quick and easy, it often doesn’t allow you to provide enough information to the agency. The agency could deny your request to correct your credit report citing not enough information was provided.

Never send original documents through the mail. We recommend that you keep a copy for your files, and send the letter via certified mail return receipt requested so you receive notification of when the credit reporting agency received your dispute letter. The credit reporting agency generally has 30-45 days to respond to your request from the time it receives it.


Download and complete the dispute form and mail to the address below:

Mail the dispute form with your letter to: Equifax Information Services LLC

P.O. Box 740256

Atlanta, GA 30374


Download and complete the dispute form  and mail to the address below:

P.O. Box 4000

Allen, TX 75013


Download and complete the dispute form and mail to the address below:

Mail the dispute form with your letter to: TransUnion Consumer Solutions

P.O. Box 2000

Chester, PA 19022-2000

Back to Top