Hadrian's Wall Panorama at Sunset / Hadrian's Wall is a World Heritage Site in the beautiful Northumberland National Park. Popular with walkers along the Hadrian's Wall Path and Pennine Way

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions


Who is eligible to participate in an ACC faculty-led study abroad program?

ACC faculty-led study abroad programs are student-focused and open to anyone in the community who is 18 years of age or older, from any background, educational experience, or ability. You must also be in good academic standing and complete any program prerequisites prior to the start date.

I am a high school student taking dual credit classes at ACC. Can I still study abroad?

Students must be 18 years of age or older to be eligible to participate in ACC’s study abroad programs.

I am not taking any classes at ACC. Can I study abroad with one of your programs?

Anyone can enroll at ACC for the sole purpose of participating in a study abroad program. However, be sure to check if there are prerequisites for the program in which you are interested. Prerequisites must be completed by the start of the study abroad program.

Do I have to speak the language of the destination country?

Study abroad programs that focus on a foreign language do require that you speak the language; non-language programs do not.

I will not be enrolled in the program’s prerequisite course until the spring semester. Can I still apply?

Yes. Students will have until the program begins to complete any course prerequisites. However, students must successfully complete the course prerequisites with a passing grade. A failing grade in a prerequisite course would make a student ineligible to continue their participation.


How do I apply for a study abroad program?

You should review study abroad program information available at the International Programs webpages. After deciding on a program, you must complete a virtual advising appointment with International Programs before submitting an application. The virtual advising session will cover program details, application process, and rules and procedures. You will be given all required application forms at that time.

Is there an application fee?

International Programs does not charge a program application fee.


Will I earn credit for a study abroad program?

Program participants will earn ACC credit for the courses associated with the study abroad program.

How do I register for my study abroad courses?

International Programs will register study abroad participants for the program course(s) during the summer semester registration period. International Programs will notify participants when they are registered and can pay tuition and fees.

I have already taken a course that is being offered with a program. Can I take the course again?

Yes, you may take the course again. ACC will take the higher grade from the two courses when calculating your final ACC GPA. However, if you are planning to transfer to another institution, please check with that institution regarding transfer credit eligibility.

I have already taken a course that is being offered with a program. Can I take another course instead?

No, all participants must enroll in the course(s) that are offered on the study abroad program, no exceptions.

Will the credits I earn through the ACC study abroad program transfer to a four-year university?

As with any ACC course, you will need to speak with an academic advisor regarding whether your ACC credit can be transferred.


How long are the study abroad programs?

ACC specializes in short-term study abroad programs. Currently, all programs take place during the first or second sessions of the summer semester, which are five weeks long. Programs generally divide time between Austin and the program country, with time abroad from 2 to 4 weeks.

Will I be abroad during the whole program?

Some study abroad programs take place entirely abroad, while others are taught partially in Austin and partially abroad.


Is the program fee all-inclusive?

Program fees are not all-inclusive. Program fees may include:

  • Group roundtrip airfare;
  • Ground transportation for scheduled activities and events;
  • Excursions and entrance fees;
  • Accommodations;
  • Meals listed on the itinerary.

The program fee does not include:

  • Individual roundtrip airfare;
  • ACC tuition/fees/textbooks;
  • Meals not indicated on itinerary;
  • Personal expenses (shopping, entertainment, cell phone, etc.);
  • Passport and visa fees (if applicable);
  • Program country departure fee (if applicable); and,
  • Medical and accident insurance coverage.

Each program fee is different, so please refer to the specific program brochure. If you have questions, please contact International Programs at [email protected]. Program fees are non- refundable except for special circumstances reviewed on a case-by-case basis or if International Programs cancels the program due to low enrollment or other force majeure circumstances.

Why are program fees non-refundable?

Program fee payments are non-refundable due to contractual arrangements for institutional, logistic, and support services associated with each study abroad program.

If International Programs cancels the entire program prior to departure, all program fee payments, including the $400 deposit, will be refunded.


Since I am taking a course in a foreign country, will I be charged the international rate for tuition/fees?

ACC tuition and fees for the 2023-2024 academic year are based on your Texas residency status:

  • ACC in-district tuition + fees = $85 per credit hour;
  • ACC out-of-district tuition + fees = $286 per credit hour; and
  • ACC out-of-state and international student tuition + fees = $353 per credit hour.

Please note that ACC tuition and fees are subject to change.


What are some of the reasons a program can be cancelled?

Some examples include, but are not limited to:

  • A program may be cancelled up to the time students are boarding the program group flight if there has been a significant deterioration in health, safety, and security conditions in the program country as a whole or in the sector of the program country where travel is to occur. Examples include acts of war, terrorism, or widespread civil unrest; an outbreak of a severe or infectious disease; or natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, or hurricanes. The decision to cancel the program will take into consideration all available health, safety, and security information monitored by International Programs, including travel and safety warnings issued by the U.S. Department of State.
  • If health, safety, or security conditions deteriorate while the study abroad group is in the program country and the U.S. Embassy issues travel warnings or evacuation orders for U.S. citizens.
  • A program does not meet the minimum number of student participants to cover program costs.


I receive financial aid. Can I use it to pay for study abroad?

Please visit or contact Financial Aid at any ACC campus. Study abroad students seeking financial aid must submit their summer ACC Financial Aid Application as well as the FAFSA for the academic year to the Financial Aid Office. This paperwork is NOT processed through International Programs.

I am eligible for the senior tuition waiver program, can I use my senior tuition waiver to pay tuition?

No, senior tuition waivers cannot be applied to study abroad course tuition.

I am eligible for employee tuition vouchers, can I use my vouchers to pay for tuition?

Yes, employee vouchers can be applied to study abroad course tuition.

I want to apply for the Board of Trustees’ (BoT) Study Abroad Scholarship. What do I need to do?

To apply for the BoT scholarship you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have at least a 2.0 GPA;
  • Have at least 12 cumulative ACC college credit hours by the time the program starts; and
  • Earn at least 3 ACC credit hours during the fall 2023 semester.

International Programs awards up to 50 Boards of Trustees’ Study Abroad Scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each. Applications will be sent via Adobe Sign once a program application is received. Contact International Programs at [email protected], for more information.

I want to apply for the Tyler Center for Global Studies Study Abroad Scholarship. What do I need to do?

To apply for the Tyler Center for Global Studies Study Abroad Scholarship you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have at least a 3.5 GPA at ACC by the application deadline;
  • Have at least 12 cumulative ACC college credit hours by the time the program starts; and
  • Earn at least 3 ACC credit hours during the fall 2023 semester.

If awarded the scholarship, applicants must:

  • Complete a research project while participating in their study abroad program;
  • Submit a 15-page paper detailing their research within 30 days of their program ending;
  • Participate in a presentation organized by ACC International Programs during the fall semester following their program.

International Programs awards two (2) Tyler Center for Global Studies Study Abroad Scholarships in the amount of $2,500 each. Applications will be sent via Adobe Sign once a program application is received. Contact International Programs at [email protected], for more information.


What if I don’t have enough money to pay the program fee in full when I apply?

The program fee is not due at the time of application. A $400 non-refundable deposit is due within seven days of program acceptance notification. Study abroad program applicants will be sent acceptance notifications on a rolling basis until the scheduled deadline.

When do I have to pay program fees and how can I pay?

After paying the $400 non-refundable deposit, you will be able to make monthly program fee payments through ACC Marketplace until the final payment deadline. ACC Marketplace payment options include electronic check (personal checking or savings), debit card, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.


Is air transportation included in the program fee?

The air transportation options for ACC study abroad programs include:

  • Individual flights (student responsibility); and
  • Mandatory group flight (included in program fee).

Some programs will have mandatory group flights depending on country destination and faculty leader preference. For programs that do not have mandatory group flights, participants will be responsible for air transportation. Air transportation options are based on program country destination, faculty leader request, or other factors.

What is a group flight?

ACC study abroad students travel to and from the program country on the same flight – the “group flight” – accompanied by the program faculty leader.

I want to stay abroad and travel after the program ends? Can I change the date of my ticket?

If booking an individual flight, program participants can schedule their return from the program country at a date later than the end of their program.

If the program requires a group flight, then program participants cannot change the date of return and must travel with the group.

Is my airfare refundable?

This depends on the carrier, ticket class, and airline rules. Non-refundable tickets are typically less expensive than refundable tickets. Students are advised about optional trip cancellation insurance.

One of my friends is also participating in the program. Can we get seated together on the group flight?

Seating assignments for international flights are usually made before or during airport check-in. Some carriers may allow you to select seat assignments via its website or you may contact the airline directly to make a seating assignment request.


What kind of accommodations will I stay in?

Program accommodations can include host families, apartments, dormitories, hotels, and hostels. Rooms may be private (single occupancy) or shared (double or multiple occupancy). Accommodations for each program vary. Please see the program information packet for details on accommodations.

Can I pick my roommate?

Roommate selection will take place at your program’s pre-departure information session.

I have been working hard to save money for this program, and I really want it to be a special experience. Can I upgrade my hotel room if I pay for the extra cost?

Study abroad program accommodations are arranged by International Programs and cannot be changed before or during the program. Participants may not make their own arrangements or make changes to accommodations.


Can I travel on my own when I’m in the program country?

If there is scheduled free time, meaning no mandatory program activities, students may travel on their own, but not outside the program country or a region in the program country that would hamper return for the next mandatory activity. International Programs discourages solo independent travel during free time and strongly recommends traveling with another participant for safety and security reasons (“the buddy system”). Prior to travel, students must provide the faculty leader with information regarding their intended travel, a contact number, and departure and return times.

Independent travel that interferes or conflicts with mandatory program activities and events, transportation arrangements, or scheduled class is not allowed because students would miss activities that are part of the course academic requirements, which would negatively impact the grade in each course they are taking. Students must be on time and present for all mandatory program activities.


Do I need a passport? How can I get a passport?

All U.S. citizens must have a valid passport for international travel. You can find all relevant information, forms, and the nearest passport acceptance facility on the U.S. Department of State website.

Do I need a visa?

Visa requirements vary depending on the destination country, your country of citizenship, and the length and reason for your stay. Please contact International Programs at [email protected] if you have additional questions.


Do I need health insurance to participate in a program?

International travel health insurance is required for all students participating in ACC study abroad programs.

ACC Student Accident Insurance also protects ACC students during official ACC activities and programs. This coverage is activated when tuition and fees are paid. The Student Accident Insurance pays for injuries up to

$25,000 occurring from school-sponsored activities related to the registered courses.

Students who are covered by private insurance, such as insurance provided through a parent or an employer, should verify that such health insurance also provides out-of-area coverage during overseas travel and in the destination country. Let the provider know where and when you will be traveling and request that they send you a letter or email confirming out-of-area coverage.


I am an ACC student studying abroad through outside provider. Will my credits transfer to ACC?

ACC does not pre-approve credits that are not earned through ACC study abroad. You must have your official transcript evaluated by ACC and transfer credit will be determined at that time.

Can I apply for the Board of Trustees’ Study Abroad Scholarship if I participate in a non-ACC program?

No, the Board of Trustees’ Study Abroad Scholarship and the Tyler Center for Global Studies Study Abroad Scholarship are reserved for current ACC students participating in an ACC faculty-led, study abroad program who meet all other eligibility requirements.

Back to Top