Launched in 2016, Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) is a comprehensive, national and community-based process to plan for and bring about transformational and sustainable change, and to address the historic and contemporary effects of racism. It seeks to unearth and jettison the deeply held, and often unconscious, beliefs created by racism – the main one being the belief in a hierarchy of human value. Learn more.
The TRHT Campus Centers received an initial award to develop and implement visionary plans to uproot the conscious and unconscious biases and misbeliefs that have exacerbated racial violence and tension in American society. Learn more.
National Project Goals
- to advance racial equity and build equitable communities;
- to create positive narratives about race;
- to identify and examine current realities about race relations in communities;
- to envision communities without entrenched racial hierarchies;
- to promote racial healing activities on campus and in communities
- to pinpoint levers for change.
- Organization of steering committee & subcommittees
- Leveraged resources to offer Beyond Diversity in Central Texas & ACC’s Equity Leadership Orientation 2.0
- Engaged more than 60 partners in the initial planning process
- Engaged more than a dozen students to lead subcommittees and actively participate in assessment, planning, and training work
- Held 21 Racial Healing Circles to expand the anti-racist community
- Began training Racial Healing Circles facilitators
- Researched the Racial History of Central Texas
- Recorded 90 Racial Healing Stories from the community, students, staff & faculty
- Drafted the Community Leadership Collaborative Curriculum
The college celebrated the grand opening of its TRHT Center in April 2022. ACC will continue to host engagement opportunities with the community both in person at the Center and virtually. Check back here to find events and opportunities to get involved including regular conversations and monthly gatherings of students, families, and community leaders.
Austin Community College selected a site at its ACC Highland Campus to serve as the college’s TRHT Campus Center.Back to Top