VA & Other Benefit Programs

You have a variety of military and veteran benefit programs to finance your college education. Work with an ACC Veterans Affairs specialist to identify the program that matches your needs.

VA educational benefits programs

You will need to complete the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) to begin receiving the benefit unless indicated differently.

Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)

Available to those who entered active duty after June 30, 1985, completed at least two years continuous active service, contributed $1,200 to the program, received a high school diploma or GED, and received an honorable discharge.

Learn more

Reserves GI Bill® (Chapter 1606)

Available to those who enlist, re-enlist, or extend an enlistment in the Selective Reserve for not less than six years, in addition to any other period of obligation after June 30, 1985; earned a high school diploma or GED; completed the IADT; fulfilled 180 days of service in the selective reserve; and is satisfactorily participating in required training in the Selective Reserve.

Learn more

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

Available to those who served at least 90 combined days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, and received an honorable discharge. This benefit covers active duty served as a member of the Armed Forces or because of a call or order to active duty from a reserve component (National Guard and Reserve) under certain sections of Title 10. The amount of support that individuals may qualify for depends on where they live and what type of degree they are pursuing.

Beginning Fall 2015, Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® veterans that are not 100% eligible for the benefit as per their Certificate of Eligibility and are not using the Texas Hazlewood Exemption to pay for unmet tuition will be required to pay tuition in full or engage in the college payment plan before their next tuition payment deadline. Failure to exercise either one of these options will result in the loss of all classes. When the college receives tuition payment from VA Regional Processing Office in Oklahoma, any tuition credit will be refunded to the student.

Learn more

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

Available to veterans who have been declared disabled by the Department of Veterans Affairs due to service-related injury.

Learn more

To apply: Contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office, located in LaCosta Corporate Park, 6448 Hwy. 290 East, Suite C 107, Austin, TX 78723; phone (512) 206.0857

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (Chapter 35)

Available to dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service (100% disabled), or who have died of a service-connected cause, were a prisoner of war or missing in action.

Learn more

Work-Study Program

Available to veterans enrolled in at least 9 credits per semester. The Work-Study Program allows you to work up to 25 hours per week at a designated location and receive wages equal to the state or federal minimum wage (wages are tax-free).

Learn more

Other benefits

Hazlewood Act

The Hazlewood Act is a tuition exemption program that was set up for veterans who were Texas residents prior to enlisting in the service. To receive a Hazlewood exemption you must:

  • At least five (5) days prior to the first class registration period, complete and submit to the appropriate campus VA office the entire Hazlewood application packet
  • Pay any student success and parking fees.

Payment of tuition and fees already made by cash, check or credit card cannot be refunded.

Learn more

Hazlewood Legacy Program

A tuition exemption is available to dependent children (under the age of 26) of Texas veterans who have not previously used any of the hours.

Learn more

Note: If you are the dependent child or spouse of a Texas veteran who is 100 percent disabled, you may be eligible for your own exemption under the Hazlewood program.

Back to Top