Veteran Services: Questions & Answers

General Questions

Can I use financial aid and VA benefits at the same time?

Yes. You can receive financial aid and VA benefits at the same time.  Follow the financial aid application steps to obtain financial aid. If you recently separated from the military, you may qualify for financial aid by using a special conditions appeal.

Can I use Hazlewood with my VA benefits?

In some cases, you may be allowed to use VA Educational Benefits and Hazlewood at the same time. Your ACC VA specialist can help identify the best programs for you. If you use the Hazlewood program, you will complete the Hazlewood application each semester.

Do I need to follow an ACC degree plan if I intend to transfer?

Yes. You must follow an ACC degree plan to receive VA benefits. You are strongly encouraged to visit any campus Advising Office each semester in order to identify transferable classes and ensure your ACC degree plan fits your transfer goals.

Can I change my degree plan?

Yes. VA allows you to change degree plans. Submit a signed updated degree plan when making the request to change your degree plan. Be aware that changing your degree plan may delay your reimbursement.

What happens if I drop a class(es)?

Dropping or withdrawing from a class can affect your VA, financial aid, and academic status. Speak with an ACC VA specialist BEFORE you drop a class to review your specific consequences.

Can I work on more than one degree at the same time?

No. You cannot work on more than one degree plan at a time.

What is a DD Form 214, and how can I get another copy?

The DD Form 214 is military discharge record. All veterans are given this form once they leave military service. You can request a copy of the DD Form 214 through the National Archives.

Hazelwood Act

What is a VA benefit letter and how do I receive one?

The VA benefit letter (also called the Hazlewood letter) is an official correspondence from the VA stating your education benefits status. The letter will usually state you have exhausted your benefits or you are no longer eligible to receive the Montgomery GI Bill®.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

What does the Hazlewood Act pay for?

The tuition waiver will cover the cost of all tuition fees and charges, including fees for correspondence courses, but excluding property deposit fees, student service fees and any fees or charges for books, lodging, board, or clothing. The Hazlewood Act is a tuition exemption program; there is no money awarded to the student.

What classes does the Hazlewood Act cover?

Currently, the Hazlewood Act covers all credit courses offered at ACC. Hazlewood can be used for all 1000 and 2000-level classes in Continuing Education (CE) except for the CDL program. Hazlewood also does not cover 3000 and 4000-level CE classes.

How long can I use my Hazlewood Act benefits?

Starting fall 1995, the Hazlewood Act can be used up to a maximum of 150 attempted credits. Credits attempted prior to fall 1995 do not apply to the 150-credit limit.

I used Hazlewood at another college. Do I need to re-apply at ACC?

Yes. State law requires all universities to maintain their own Hazlewood tuition exemption files. Each college is also required to obtain a record of attempted Hazlewood hours from all previously attended institutions

Can I track how many Hazlewood hours I have used?

Yes, the Texas Higher Education Board provides an online student database: Hazlewood Student Database. However this site is not always accurate, it is your responsibility to keep track of your hours.

Can I give my unused Hazlewood Act to my dependent?

Yes, under the Hazelwood Legacy Program, you may give the remaining unused hours or all 150 hours to one child at a time. Benefits expire at the age of 26. Eligible veterans may assign unused hours of exemption eligibility to a child under certain conditions.

My spouse is a Texas veteran. Am I eligible for Hazelwood Act?

If your spouse is 100 percent unemployable and disabled or was 100 percent disabled at the time of death, you and your children may be eligible for this exemption.

Can I use my Hazelwood exemption with my VA benefits?

Yes. It can be used with Chapter 30, Chapter 35, Chapter 33 (less than 100 percent), Chapter 1607 and the VRAP. Speak with an ACC VA specialist about stacking your benefits.

Back to Top