Transfer News

Sign up for ACC’s monthly Transfer Newsletter: The Transfer Times.

You’ll get insider information on transfer related deadlines, scholarships, events, and inspiring transfer student stories delivered directly to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get tips and advice from our team of transfer specialists who are available to support you on your transfer journey. 

Transfer Student Spotlight

Jose Arce

What are your goals for the future? At the moment, I plan to keep my choices open. However, I am looking at the possibility of joining the Peace Corps, or the Pan American Health Organization right after graduation. From there, If the conditions are right, I plan to obtain a Masters in International Affairs.

How did you decide where you wanted to transfer? What factors went into that decision? For me, the financial aspect was a big factor. The main reason that I was drawn to UT Austin was because I knew I could get more affordable tuition compared to other universities in Texas. From there, I was drawn by their program in International Relations and other factors such as campus life and the size of the university. At the end of the day, I knew I was getting a high-quality education at an affordable price.

Were you involved in any extracurricular activities at ACC? I was part of Ascender, a program designed for first-year college students. I was constantly attending their workshops and events. It was through them that I was also paired with a mentor that helped me during my university choice. Additionally, through my involvement, I was also able to develop leadership skills and public speaking skills. I highly recommend the program myself. However, any extracurricular activity that can provide you with leadership skills and all sorts of skills helps.

Is life at your UT any different from ACC? What adjustments, if any, did you make? My first semester at UT Austin was an adjustment. I believe that is the most normal situation, as indeed, UT Austin is very different from ACC. Classes were slightly bigger, and the campus itself is a maze. However, the faculty is very supportive, and there are many programs that help transfer students themselves. The one adjustment I took to heart was not to join many clubs and not get highly involved in college life. I wanted to fully adapt to the system of the university and the pace of studying. After my first semester, I slowly started to get more involved in clubs, and today, I am well adjusted. 

What are some of the questions you had while going through the process? One of the many questions I had was: What was more important in the application: Was the essay more important than the grades, the recommendation letters, or the resume? This question truly got me very confused, as there were various answers from different people. However, I eventually learned that everything matters. Meaning all the requirements have to work harmoniously together and connect to each other.

What advice would you give to ACC students who are considering transferring? My first piece of advice would be to start early. The earlier research students can do, the better. That way, there is more time to prepare for the application and gather all the necessary information. This way, there is also more time to connect with resources at ACC, such as Transfer Services, the Writing Center, and many others. 

Secondly, I would advise students to expand their choices. Universities in Texas are not the only choice; there are many out-of-state universities and colleges that are willing to give full-funded scholarships to transfer students. Personally, ACC was my second choice. I knew I had to stay in Texas because of my family, and ACC itself had already given me many academic opportunities. 

My last piece of advice would be to try your best. I was not guaranteed an admissions decision at UT Austin. However, I knew in my heart that I would feel better. If I did not get accepted knowing that I had tried my best, rather than not getting accepted knowing, I could have done better. Do your best work and look for those who are willing to help transfer students. 

Staff Spotlight

Kierra Penkoff

Tell us about yourself: briefly describe what your tasks include at work. My range of tasks include collaborating on projects with the Transfer Services team, attending training and meetings to further my professional development, offering support at events over the summer, and overall learning about the transfer process and what it involves to get ACC students to their university of choice. 

What do you like to do outside of work? Outside of work I’m a student too! I’m currently on my own summer break and am not taking classes, but I’ll be back to it in the Fall with everyone else. When I’m not at work or school, I’m a big video game person! I mostly play Nintendo games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and right now I’m playing the Paper Mario 2 remake. I will gladly talk about any of these games at length. 

How has the ACC experience been? We’d love to hear about the first impressions, colleagues or projects that have contributed to your experience. So far it’s been great! I toured the Highland Campus for the first time with my Community Colleges class and was just blown away by how friendly and welcoming everyone we met was. You could tell that everyone we spoke to loved the work they were doing at ACC. Between touring the campus and meeting my now supervisor, Renee, I couldn’t write her an email fast enough asking if ACC accepts interns. Having started my education journey at a community college myself, it feels great to be back in this environment.

Do you have any advice for students intending to transfer? Double check, triple check, even quadruple check that the classes you’re taking will transfer to the university of your choice! I did not do my due diligence when I was going to transfer to Texas State, and even though the classes I took at Lone Star counted towards my associates degree, they did not count when I transferred and I had to retake classes, which delayed my graduation by a year. I wish my community college had a Transfer Services department like ACC does. Take advantage of the transfer specialists we have at ACC and make sure you are on the right track for transferring!

Newsletter Archives

The Transfer Times – May 2024 | The Transfer Times – April 2024 | The Transfer Times – March 2024 | The Transfer Times – February 2024 | The Transfer Times – January 2024 | The Transfer Times – January 2024 | The Transfer Times – November 2023 | The Transfer Times – October 2023 | The Transfer Times – September 2023 | The Transfer Times – August 2023 | The Transfer Times – July 2023 | The Transfer Times – May 2023

Back to Top