Accessibility Services – Dual Credit Students

Welcome to ACC and Student Accessibility Services (SAS)! 

As a high school student taking dual credit or early college high school classes, you may be eligible to receive accommodations from our offices for your ACC class, whether the classes are at your high school, at an ACC campus, or online.

SAS offices work with you to determine the most appropriate and reasonable accommodations to provide you with access to your course material and ACC programs.

For more information about our high school programs, visit High School Dual Credit.


If you have a diagnosed disability and are enrolled in Dual Credit or Early College High School (ECHS) courses at ACC, you may be eligible for services through SAS.

All Dual Credit and ECHS students with a disability requesting accommodations must provide documentation of disability and actively participate in the accommodation process with SAS staff.

Having a 504 plan or IEP (Individualized Education Program) in high school does not automatically transfer to ACC. It is important to remember that the IEP does not continue to college. Some accommodations provided at the high school may be appropriate at the college level, however, at the high school there may be supports and services provided that go beyond reasonable accommodation and would not be appropriate at the college level.


  • It is important to understand the differences between high school and college-level course work and the accommodations that are available at the postsecondary level. A course taken for college credit must maintain the integrity and rigor of college level work regardless of where the class is taught (ACC campus or high school campus).
  • Students with disabilities who meet the prerequisites of a course may be provided reasonable accommodations that allow equal access, basically to level the playing field. However, colleges will not provide modifications to change the course content or performance expectations that would substantially alter the essential elements of the course.
  • Students with disabilities are held to the same standards of academic and behavioral performance. Access to accommodations does not guarantee success.

Ready to Apply for Services? Apply for SAS Services and Accommodations. You will upload your disability documentation via the application as well. View documentation guidelines.


The most important thing that your high school student with disabilities can do is to be a strong self-advocate—someone who speaks or writes in support of themselves. As a parent, you may have been involved in the process during high school but the student is now expected to take responsibility for their own needs and learning. See guidelines for parent involvement.

High School vs. College

Understanding some of the differences between accessibility services for high school and college students can help you have a smoother transition.

High School College
Teachers and parents remind you of responsibilities. You manage your own time and coursework.
Teachers may initiate contact with you. You will need to initiate contact with instructors.
Teachers may give notes if you missed class or provide you with assignments and an extended due date. Instructors expect you to be prepared for class even when you have missed class.
You may study two to eight hours a week. You should study an average of two to three hours outside of class for every hour in class.
The school prepares and provides documentation of disability. Documentation is required, and you (the student) must provide it.
The school proves eligibility for accommodations. You (the student) must prove eligibility.
Content of the program is altered to fit you. Course content is not altered, although the method of learning may be altered.
Parents, teachers, counselors and special education professionals track you and your services each year. You must identify yourself every semester if you want services.

Back to Top