To qualify for financial aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Students who are undocumented may qualify for state financial assistance through the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA – Texas Senate Bill 1528).
  • Have a high school diploma or GED.
  • Enroll or be accepted at Austin Community College. (Your ACC application must be on file.)
  • Maintain academic standards of progress for financial aid students.
  • Meet Selective Service requirements, if applicable.
  • Not be in default on any federal student loan or owe a federal grant repayment.
  • Not be convicted for possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving federal aid.

Additional factors that limit financial aid

  • Meet FAFSA criteria for financial need (for most financial aid programs). Estimate your financial need.
  • If you received a Pell Grant for more than six years, you are no longer eligible for this award.
  • If you have high student loan debt, you may be denied additional loans. See maximum loan debt limits.

What if I enroll in a course that is not on my degree plan?

You may enroll in a class not on your plan; however, it will not be eligible for financial aid. You are responsible for paying any difference between the financial aid you receive and the tuition you owe. You must pay the amount owed or set up a payment plan by your tuition deadline or you will be dropped from classes.

Generally, you are encouraged to avoid taking courses that are not on your degree plan.

Exceptions: Prerequisites that are required for a course on your degree plan. Example: Math 2412 is a prerequisite to Math 2413 Calculus I.

What if I need to enroll in Developmental Education courses, will financial aid play for these?

Financial aid will pay up to 30 semester credit hours of remedial course work.

What if I'm planning to transfer instead of earning a degree?

You must declare a major to receive financial aid. If you’re planning to transfer you may want to visit with an academic advisor who can help you choose a major that best aligns with the degree plan at your transfer institution. See a list of ACC advisors by areas of study.

How do I know if a course is on my degree plan?

View your degree plan in the Self-Service course planning and registration system. Visit an advisor if you have questions about your plan.

Finally, you should confirm that your student record reflects your current major and catalog year. To check, log in to Online Services and click Student Statuses (under Academic Planning).

Bachelor’s degree

If you have a bachelor’s degree, you are ineligible to receive grants but may be eligible for loans.

Co-enrolled students

Co-enrolled or summer transfer students must obtain financial aid from their home college or university. To apply financial aid to your ACC classes, contact your home institution to request a consortium agreement.

Back to Top